Saturday, December 16, 2017

Pseudonyms

Dad is back from rehab in his studio apartment, amidst 3 wheelchairs, 2 walkers, and many cushions to relieve butt discomfort. No partridge in a pear tree. Other than spilling hot soup on his lap, I am a model caretaker. Since chicken noodle broth creates a mess, maintenance arrived to do a thorough cleaning of his recliner. An unintended miracle for Hanukkah: his chair is now spotless! He is doing well, motivated to do physical therapy, gaining back independence as much as possible.

I decided I might as well capitalize on my visit by being creative. I’m writing an article for a regional magazine about how seniors make decisions to move to retirement villages, particularly how their adult children are involved. What better way to get the scoop than interview Sid’s dining room buddies? I even got official permission from management, since I explained I will use aliases. To my surprise, few residents felt that their children had been beneficial but everyone really enjoyed making up their own fake identities. My little spontaneous project was more popular than the planned evening concert entertainment. Here are some names the ladies desired in print: Hikey (requested by 102-year old Ida, of course), Suzie Q, Katya, Goldie and Priscilla.

If you come across my article in the future and want to try to crosswalk any names, I don’t think the participants will mind. After all, they are my friends and like me, they appreciate recognition.

No comments: